The following may apply for higher education:

  • Portuguese citizens;
  • Citizens of a member state of the European Union;
  • Citizens who are not nationals of a member state of the European Union, but resided legally and continuously in Portugal for more than two years, on August 31st of the year of application.

In the case of international students, a special tender for access to higher education was created with the approval of the International Student Statute, through a decree-law (Decreto-Lei nº. 36/2014, de 10 de março), amended by decree-law (Decreto-Lei n.º 62/2018, de 6 de agosto), enter exclusively through this process.

In the general regime, students who meet the following conditions can apply to a certain course and institution:

  • Approval in the secondary education course in the conditions to continue studies or hold a legally equivalent qualification;
  • Have taken the entrance exams set for the institution/course and obtained a rating equal to or higher than the minimum required classification;
  • Satisfy the prerequisites, if they are set for the institution/course;
  • Have an application classification equal to or higher than the minimum value set for the institution/course of interest.

How to find out more about courses and institutions available in Portugal?

To access information about higher education courses and institutions in Portugal, click here.

How are the transfers or changes of courses made to a Portuguese higher education institution?

To change course or transfer, students must have been enrolled in a foreign higher education institution in a course defined as higher by the legislation of the country in question, whether they have completed it or not. To do this, they need to go to the academic services of the institution they want to attend in order to complete the application and obtain information about the respective tender. For more information, access the General Examination Guide of the Directorate-General for Higher Education (DGES).

Source: Directorate-General for Higher Education (DGES) and High Commission for Migration (ACM).

Go back Education