This information is not intended for EU citizens/European Union/European Economic Area / Andorra/Switzerland citizens or family members.

 Entry, stay or residence for up to 90 days:

The right of entry, residence and residence in Portugal covers nationals of the countries of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA), the Principality of Andorra and Switzerland, as well as family members, including third-country nationals, as is the case of Brazil. According to Law No. 37/2006, of 9 August, which regulates the exercise of the right of free movement and residence of EU citizens and their family members in national territory, entry and residence or residence for up to 90 days they are free from any formality, and only valid European civil identification is required. Family members from third countries may be required to have an entry visa under the rules in force in the EU, whose application must be processed in an easy and fast way.

Residence for more than 90 days – EU / EEA / Switzerland citizen:

To stay in the country for a period longer than three months, the person who is an EU / EEA / Switzerland national must carry out the Registration Certificate, which formalizes the right of residence in Portugal. This Certificate is issued on the spot (as a general rule) by the City Council of the area of residence and must be requested within 30 days after the initial 90 days have elapsed.

Here you can find the Town Hall of your locality:

Residence for more than 90 days – family member of an EU / EEA / Swiss national who is a third country

The family member of an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen who comes from a third country (extra-community) must apply to the SEF (Immigration and Borders Service) for the Residence Card which will formalize the right of residence for a period exceeding three months.

Necessary documents and more information here 

See applicable legislation here

Go back home